Monday 9 January 2017

Doing a new thing - tearing off the old

It is now 2017 and it's all about the New. New Beginnings, new ways and yes even a new camera. I do miss my Nikon D750 which was left behind somewhere in Mozambique and have been researching new prospects, even contemplating jumping ship and going mirrorless. New can so easy become novelty and as I stare at my photographic cupboard I see numerous cameras of yesteryear that haven't seen the light of day or in fact any light through their shutters for some time. New obviously means the previous will become old - words from Isaiah 43;19  "forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland..."

Lily of the valley - spotted by my daughter Kelly on a recent hike in Golden Gate

The transition from 2016 to 2017 on a personal level was not exactly easy. After soaking for ten weeks in a greenhouse of Love, watered daily and feeding on fresh manna I was now confronted by some things of old. It was as if there was this enveloping, claustrophobic oppressive cloud trying to force me back into my old identity and old ways. It was Old Year's eve and I just felt God highlighting the teaching of Surprise Sithole in Nelspruit about the familiar spirit. It was late and I eventually found the part in my notes and still wondered why I had chosen to write in pencil as I struggled to read.

Surprise Sithole who is a man so full of God's Joy and Wisdom (Voice in the Night - an inspiring read about his life story) shared about the familiar spirit which was new to me. I was aware of familiar spirits as those whom mediums consult to communicate with dead relatives - mentioned and forbidden in the bible. When he spoke of the familiar spirit it was in the same vein as for example a critical spirit or even an orphan spirit - a particular way of thinking or attitude. Pastor Surprise said that wherever you go to avoid the familiar spirit as it leads to barrenness. He gave an example of where King David danced with all his might and with very little clothing which offended his wife Michal who despised him for what she regarded as a lack of dignity. Subsequently she then was left with barrenness. She never recognised his act of worship but instead through familiarity she perceived it as a disgrace.

The familiar lenses of the people of Nazareth viewed Jesus as merely a boy next door or as the son of a carpenter. He was not honoured in his hometown and Jesus himself could only perform a few miracles there. Surprise spoke of returning home (this was in the third week of HS25) and he warned of not drawing the familiar spirit when things are different. One could say the proverb "familiarity breeds contempt" holds a similar truth.

A familiar farmhouse but this time with a whole herd of Afrikaner cattle running past as on cue



The same abandoned familiar farmhouse with this newly discovered kitchen 


Both Andrea and I felt as if old ways were trying to force their way back on us and on New Year's day we set aside a time of prayer whilst refusing to partner with that familiar spirit. Pastor Surprise was speaking more of looking at others with an attitude of familiarity however we knew that recognising this particular stifling outlook and resisting it in our own lives was so liberating. We embraced the promise of God doing a new thing and thanked Him for the new robes we had received at Harvest School. During that time I just saw a picture of Clark Kent ripping off his old office suit with the Big S showing beneath. A few days later while travelling with our daughter Kelly I shared the Clark Kent picture and my awkwardness about Superman delusions of grandeur. Kelly said that if God gave you that picture then just receive it and she said the S stands for Supernatural man - well that settled it.

Ripping off the old restraining and familiar suit to reveal the true supernatural man living inside 

Love the Message translation of Romans 13;14 "Get out of bed and get dressed! Don't loiter and linger, waiting until the very last minute. Dress yourselves in Christ, and be up and about!" What an encouraging word and that it is about Christ as opposed to putting on one's own suit of self-confidence but rather being clothed in Him! Looking forward to 2017 and walking in a spirit of expectancy and wonder, shaking off the familiar, same ol' story, just another day in paradise thinking and just being mesmerised by His Greatness - All dressed up with somewhere to go!



2 comments:

  1. Good word and a timely one as well. Thanks Mark. I think I've been contending with a familiar spirit or two myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian for the kind comment. Here's to a Fantastic 2017!

    ReplyDelete